- Mortain, Normandy
- Graphite and brown wash on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/2 x 17 1/8 inches (29.2 x 43.5 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper center: "Inn. Cresswick under [ . . . ] | J. S. Cotman"; in graphite, lower left: "Cotman, John Sell | "Mortain" | 62/5/21/5 | IR38 | PM#723"; in black chalk, lower center: "[...]9"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- building | cliff | landscape | rocks (landforms)
- Associated Places:
- France | Mortain | Normandy
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Painting in England 1700-1850, collection of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon. , Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA, 1963, p. 103, cat. 173, ND466 V57 v.1-2 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Mortain, Normandy, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.