IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Alexander Cozens, 1717–1786, British, Coastal Scene with Wooded Cliff, ca. 1770
Coastal Scene with Wooded Cliff
- ca. 1770
- Black ink, graphite, brown wash, gray wash, brown ground and varnish on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper, mounted on thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Mount: 9 7/8 x 13 5/8 inches (25.1 x 34.6 cm), Sheet: 4 7/8 x 7 inches (12.4 x 17.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite upper left: "2"; inscribed on back on mount in graphite lower right: "COZENS, Alexander | coastal Scene with | wooded cliff
Signed on mount in pen and gray ink lower left: "Alexr. Cozens."; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cliffs | clouds | landscape | sailboats | seascape | shore (landform) | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Art of Alexander and John Robert Cozens (Yale Center for British Art, 1980-09-17 - 1980-11-16) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.