The East Gate at Tanjore (S. India)
- between 1777 and 1808
- Gray wash, brown wash and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 1/2 × 12 inches (24.1 × 30.5 cm)
Inscribed, in graphite (first word) and pen and brown ink, upper center: "The east gate at Tansin"; verso, in graphite, lower left: "J116" [ encircled].
Watermark: fragment of a Bend? (A Lily)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | gate | moat | wall
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Tanjore
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Samuel Davis, 1757–1819, British, The East Gate at Tanjore (S. India), between 1777 and 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.