Upon the Aare between Unterseen and the Lake of Brientz
- Watercolor, blue wash, gray wash, graphite, and pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper, mounted on medium, slightly textured, white wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/4 x 14 1/4 inches (23.5 x 36.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper left: "Upon the Aare between | Unterseen and the Lake of | Brientz | 15"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "(PM 2157) | (65/9/14/3)"
Watermark: "LVG" Similar to Heawood: 2744.
Signed in graphite lower right: "3 7 6 0 | COZENS, J R"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- fishermen | Grand Tour | lake | landscape | mountains | river | towers | trees
- Associated Places:
- Aare | Lake Brienz | Switzerland | Unterseen
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Robert Cozens, 1752–1797, British, Upon the Aare between Unterseen and the Lake of Brientz, 1776
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.