- Fort Opposite the Factory, Canton
- Watercolor. pen and gray ink over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 4 1/2 × 6 inches (11.4 × 15.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper center: "The Fort Opposite the Factory at Canton"; on back, upper right: "E"
watermarks: WHATMAN (letters)
Signed and dated in gray ink, lower left: "W. Alexander. 1793."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | buildings | cityscape | commerce | flags | fort | genre subject | marine art | men | punts | river | rowing | seamen | trade
- Associated Places:
- Asia | China | Chu | Guangdong | Guangzhou
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Alexander, 1767–1816, British, Fort Opposite the Factory, Canton, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.