- Watercolor, pen, black ink, gray ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 18 1/2 inches (29.8 x 47 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "S. DAVIS"; in pen and gray ink, center (below image): "GOREE W.N.W. Dist. 4 Miles"; in graphite, upper center (above image): "Fort NWN dist. 4 miles"; inscribed on back in graphite, left center: W". Cape Verd | W. Coast Africa"; in graphite, lower left: "J.34" [encircled]
Watermark: Heawood 1849 (J Whatman) (Fleur-de-Lis)
Signed in graphite, lower right: "S. DAVIS."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | island | marine art | ocean | sea | ships
- Associated Places:
- Africa | Dakar | Goree | Goree | Gorée | Gorée | Sénégal
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.