IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
attributed to Francis Danby, 1793–1861, Irish, Subterranean Pool with Sculptural Torchere, undated
Subterranean Pool with Sculptural Torchere
- Brown wash, with scraping on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 x 9 inches (26 x 22.9 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower left: "J MARTIN"; inscribed on back in brown ink, upper right: "John Martin | 1789-1854"; in graphite, upper center: "John Martin | [...] collection of | monochrome [...] | [...] Turkey Mill"
Watermark: J Whatman (similar to Harwood 117)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cave | flame | geology | light | pool | science | sculpture | statue | torch | torchères (stands)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.