View in the Province of Kiang-nan, China, Taken from Nature
- Part Of:
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Mount: 7 9/16 x 9 11/16 inches (19.2 x 24.6 cm) and Sheet: 7 1/16 x 9 3/16 inches (18 x 23.3 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on back, lower right: "View in the Province of Kiang-nun, China. | taken from Nature."
Signed on verso in pen and black ink, lower right: "By W. Alexander"; dated on verso in pen and brown ink, lower right: "1793"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | armed forces | armor | baskets | boats | buildings | Chinese architecture | flag | genre subject | hats | junks | landscape | men | river | village | yoke
- Associated Places:
- Asia | China
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
William Alexander, 1767–1816, British, View in the Province of Kiang-nan, China, Taken from Nature, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.