A High Caste Woman Standing by a Wall
- Additional Title(s):
Indian Girl Standing by a Parapet
- ca. 1829
- Watercolor with black ink and gouache over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Contemporary drawn border: 5 7/8 x 4 1/4 inches (14.9 x 10.8 cm) and Sheet: 5 1/2 x 3 3/4 inches (14 x 9.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, center right: "4 | 7"; on back of mount, lower right: "D 26/26"
Collector's stamp of Sir William Richard Drake (Lugt 736), in black ink, lower right
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- columns | genre | genre subject | Indian | jewelry | natives | nobility | palm trees | sari | steps | temple | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
William Daniell, 1769–1837, British, A High Caste Woman Standing by a Wall, ca. 1829
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.