View of the Convent of the Clarisses at Valenciennes after the Seige
- Materials & Techniques:
- Pen and black ink, gray ink , black wash, gray wash and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 16 1/8 × 22 3/4 inches (41 × 57.8 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 15 3/8 × 22 inches (39.1 × 55.9 cm), Sheet: 13 5/16 x 20 1/16in. (33.8 x 51cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, on mount, lower center: "View of the | CONVENT of the CLARISSES | at VALENCIENNES after the | Siege in 1793"
Signed in pen, with black ink, lower right: "Jos. Farington
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | convent | ruins | siege
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Joseph Farington, 1747–1821, British, View of the Convent of the Clarisses at Valenciennes after the Seige, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.