Shakespearean Scene (?): A Pilgrim
- Pen and brown ink with gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, pasted on contemporary mount made of thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Mount: 18 1/2 × 15 5/8 inches (47 × 39.7 cm) and Sheet: 16 × 13 1/8 inches (40.7 × 33.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "P | ROBERT SMIRKE 1752-1845 & JOSEPH FARINGTON R. A., 1747-1821. Dated 1796"; on back, center: "SMIRKE, ROBT. & FARRINGTON, JOSEPH | SHAKESPEAREAN SCENE (?)"; on back, lower center: "192-18=87- P"; in magenta ink, on back, lower center: "17 x 19 7/8"; on back, lower right: "3946 | 2n 108 [...] mat"
Signed in brown ink, lower left: "Robert Smirke | Jos: Farrington 1796"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- capes | coats | costume | feathers | fire | gesture | landscape | literary theme | men | play | steps | trees | walking
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Joseph Farington, (landscape), 1747–1821, British, Shakespearean Scene (?): A Pilgrim, 1796
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.