- ca. 1738
- Watercolor and gouache on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 8 5/8 inches (27.3 × 21.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and blue ink, upper center: "The Particoloured Lagopus of Gesner."; in pen and brown ink, lower center: "The White Partridge | in its Summer Feathers"; inscribed on back in pen and brown ink, lower center: "The Particoloured Lagopus of Gesner | this bird is supposed to be white in winter | and the same with the bird - call the white | Partridge - Geo Edwards"; in pen and black ink, lower center: "Snow Partridge"; in graphite, lower right: "2919"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | bird | feathers | ptarmigan
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.