IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
George Edwards, 1694–1773, British, Ptarmigan, ca. 1738
- ca. 1738
- Watercolor and gouache on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 8 5/8 inches (27.3 × 21.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and blue ink, upper center: "The Particoloured Lagopus of Gesner."; in pen and brown ink, lower center: "The White Partridge | in its Summer Feathers"; inscribed on back in pen and brown ink, lower center: "The Particoloured Lagopus of Gesner | this bird is supposed to be white in winter | and the same with the bird - call the white | Partridge - Geo Edwards"; in pen and black ink, lower center: "Snow Partridge"; in graphite, lower right: "2919"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | bird | feathers | ptarmigan
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.