- The Peasant's Dream, Paradise Lost, Book 1, 781-8
- 1793 to 1800
- Graphite, black chalk, white chalk and white gouache on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 3/8 x 20 3/8 inches (31.4 x 51.8 cm)
Inscribed on back in pen and brown ink upper center: " - Or Fairy elves, | whose midnight revels by a forest-side | Or fountain Some belated peasant Sees, | Or dreams he sees; while overhead the moon | sits arbitress, and nearer to the earth | wheels her pale course; they on their mirth & dance | Intent, with jocund music charm his ear; | At once with Joy & fear his heart rebounds."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angels | fairies | flying | literary theme | peasants | shepherds
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Fuseli, 1741–1825, Swiss, active in Britain (1766–70; 1779 on), The Peasant's Dream, Paradise Lost, Book 1, 781-8, 1793 to 1800
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.