Imogen in the Cave, 'Cymbeline', Act III, Scene VI
- Part Of:
- Watercolor and graphite with pen and black ink on thick, slightly textured cream wove paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured cream laid paper with contemporary drawn border
- Mount: 23 1/16 x 18 5/16 inches (58.5 x 46.5 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 22 5/8 x 18 1/16 inches (57.5 x 45.8 cm), and Sheet (cropped to image): 21 7/8 x 17 1/8 inches (55.6 x 43.5 cm)
Inscribed on mount in brown ink, lower center: "Imogen in the cave"; inscribed on mount in graphite, lower right: "Cymbeline"
Signed and dated in black ink, lower right: "MH | 1782"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cap | cape | cloaks | cross-dressing | Cymbeline, Act III, Scene VI | Cymbeline, play by William Shakespeare | gathering | gesturing | hunters | literary theme | men | play | plays by William Shakespeare | plumes | rocks (landforms) | sandals | spears | standing | starvation | watching | woman
- Associated Places:
- Cymru | United Kingdom | Wales
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Imogen (character in Cymbeline)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Mary Hoare, 1744–1820, British, Imogen in the Cave, 'Cymbeline', Act III, Scene VI, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.