Landscape and Cattle
- Watercolor over traces of graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper laid down on old mount with black ruled lines, in turn laid on card
- Sheet: 11 1/4 x 14 5/8 inches (28.6 x 37.1 cm), Mount: 12 3/4 x 16 1/8 inches (32.4 x 41 cm), and Mount: 13 1/8 x 16 1/4 inches (33.3 x 41.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink on mount, lower left: "TG" [cropped]; in graphite, center to lower right: [erased inscription]; letterpress [?cat. label], lower left, pasted to old mount on top of graphite inscription above: "370 T. GAINSBOROUGH Landscape and Cattle"; in graphite, verso, center: "D676 / T. Gainsborough RA 1727-1788 | LGD"; erased graphite, verso, lower left: "Thomas Gainsborough | B.1727 - D.1788"; in graphite, verso, lower right: "94" [enclosed in circle]; in graphite, verso, lower center: "Purchased in London [...] sale";
Signed in graphite, lower left: "Thomas Gainsborough R.A."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cows | hills | landscape | sky | trees
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
imitator of Thomas Gainsborough RA, 1727–1788, British, Landscape and Cattle, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.