- Additional Title(s):
- between 1756 and 1773
- Pen and black ink, pen and brown ink, brown wash, gray wash, watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, blued white laid paper, mounted on, thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 8 × 9 7/8 inches (20.3 × 25.1 cm), Sheet: 4 3/8 x 5 3/4 inches (11.1 x 14.6 cm), and Image: 4 × 5 1/2 inches (10.2 × 14 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen in black ink, inside of image, right center: "Guns & Swords | Cleaned & sold | Here"; inscribed in pen with black ink, right centert: "Sr John | go fight a"; with pen in black ink, right center: "Port | Mahon"; Verso: inscribed in graphite, right center: "No Ref"; in graphite, "[Zmere?] | Hogarth"
Watermarks: LVG; Paul Mellon collector's mark
Signed in pen and black ink lower right: "GRAVELOT"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegorical | artillery | buildings | cannon balls | cannons (artillery) | military art | pistol | port | Rattus rattus (species) | rifles (artillery) | signage | soldiers | spear | swords | tricornes
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Port Mahon, between 1756 and 1773
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.