- Design for a Vignette: The King of France Surrounded by Courtiers
- Pen and black ink, graphite, red chalk, and gold leaf on medium, slightly textured, blued white laid paper, mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, pen in black and red ink, border lines
- Mount: 11 1/8 × 11 inches (28.3 × 27.9 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 5 3/8 x 7 1/8 inches (13.7 x 18.1 cm), and Sheet: 3 5/8 x 5 3/8 inches (9.2 x 13.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, upper right: "6710 A Mellon" 49", in graphite, lower right: "176"; Verso: inscribed in graphite, upper right: "68/12/20/77"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- courtiers | design (discipline) | figure study | figures (illustrations) | king (person) | throne room | vignettes
- Associated People:
- Louis XV (1710–1774), king of France and of Navarre
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for a Vignette: The King of France Surrounded by Courtiers, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.