- Design for a Frontispiece: Group of Allegorical Figures
- Black chalk on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, pen in black and red ink border lines
- Mount: 15 1/2 × 11 1/8 inches (39.4 × 28.3 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 5 7/8 x 5 1/2 inches (14.9 x 14 cm), and Sheet: 4 1/8 × 3 3/4 inches (10.5 × 9.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "671- 1 Mellon"; in graphite, lower right: "180"; Verso: inscribed in graphite, upper right: "68/12/20/85"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegorical | design | figures (illustrations) | frontispiece (illustration) | genre subject | nudes | seated | standing
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for a Frontispiece: Group of Allegorical Figures, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.