Design for a Frontispiece: A Bishop Conferring an Honor, Scene Within a Cartouche
- Pen and black ink, over red chalk, and graphite, Incised for transfer on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, pen in black and red ink border lines
- Mount: 15 1/2 × 11 inches (39.4 × 27.9 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 7 1/2 × 6 5/8 inches (19.1 × 16.8 cm), and Image: 6 × 5 inches (15.2 × 12.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower right: "400-" | inscribed in pen with black ink, lower right: "Page 2. Vignette c[ut?] [in?] P[...?]"; inscribed in graphite; on mount; upper right:"6710 [J?] Mellon 18"; Verso: inscribed in graphite: upper rught: "68/12/20/86"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegorical | bishop (prelate) | clergy | dove | frontispieces (illustrations) | genre subject | kneeling | robes | standing | swords | vestments
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for a Frontispiece: A Bishop Conferring an Honor, Scene Within a Cartouche, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.