Slate Quarry at Widecombe, Devon
- Watercolor, pen, and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 3/8 × 7 1/2 inches (23.8 × 19.1 cm) and Mount: 13 7/8 × 12 inches (35.2 × 30.5 cm)
Inscribed on mount in graphite, lower center: "9 3/8 x 7 1/4"; inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink, upper center: "The Slate Quarry at Widdicombe__Devon__"; in pen and brown ink, upper left: "No.1A"; in graphite, upper left: "108"; in graphite, lower right: "108"
Signed and dated on verso in pen and brown ink, upper center: "JWA ~ July 18. 1792 ~"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | cliffs | labor | laborers | landscape | masons | men | quarry | slate | trees | workers | working
- Associated Places:
- Devon | England | Europe | United Kingdom | Widecombe-in-the-Moor
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John White Abbott, 1763–1851, British, Slate Quarry at Widecombe, Devon, 1792