IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John White Abbott, 1763–1851, British, The Warren near Exmouth, Devon: Steep Cliffs Rising at Right, Sea and Rocky Shore at Left, 1810
The Warren near Exmouth, Devon: Steep Cliffs Rising at Right, Sea and Rocky Shore at Left
- Watercolor, gray wash, pen and gray ink, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 3/8 x 10 1/2 inches (18.7 x 26.7 cm)
Inscribed on sheet attached to mount in pen and gray ink, lower center: "The Warren"; in graphite, lower center: "Sept 1 1810"; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "Warren"; in graphite, lower right: "145(6)
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beach | cliffs | coast | estuary | landscape | rocks (landforms) | sea | shore (landform) | waves (natural events)
- Associated Places:
- Dawlish Warren | Devon | England | Exmouth | River Exe | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.