An English Man-of-War, Port View from the Stern
- ca. 1675
- Pen and brown ink with gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper, pasted on contemporary mount made of thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Mount: 17 1/4 x 26 7/16 inches (43.8 x 67.1 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 13 15/16 x 23 1/16 inches (35.4 x 58.5 cm), and Sheet (cropped to image): 13 1/8 x 22 3/16 inches (33.3 x 56.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower left: "1—59 | 3"; on mount, lower center to lower right: "The Tiger - | The basis of this is an object from an outline drawing at Greenwich (Ingram C[...]) (MR 2nd vol. 1106 and pub 98) | to upp[...] 1967"; on mount, lower right: "D29771"; on back of mount, center: "AN ENGLISH MAN-O'-WAR, STARBOARD BOW VIEW, | PROBABLY ONE OF THE SIXTY GUN SHIPS, MONRANISED(?) ABOUT 1675, A THIRD RATE SHIP, | BY | WILLIAM VAN DE VELDE THE YOUNGER, | (1633-1707) | COLLECTION - PAUL SANDBY | DRAWINGS EXIST OF THE YORK; PLYMOUTH & MONCK; | THIS DRAWING MIGHT BE OF THE LION; DUNKIRK OR GLOUCESTER."
Collector's stamp of Paul Sandby, embossed, lower left: "P S"
Signed in pen and brown ink, lower right: "W. V. V."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | man-of-war | marine art | relief | sculpture | ship
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Eleanor Hughes, Spreading Canvas : Eighteenth-Century British Marine Painting, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2016, p. 148-149, cat. 11, ND 1373.G74 S67 2016 (YCBA)