View of Chepstow Castle, Monmouthshire, from Under the Bridge
- Watercolor and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 11 9/16 x 20 1/16 inches (29.4 x 51 cm) and Sheet: 11 x 19 1/2 inches (28 x 49.5 cm)
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower left: "J. Varley | 1802"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | beach | boats | buildings | castle | cliffs | dog (animal) | fishermen | genre subject | hill | houses | labor | laborers | landscape | men | river | sailboats | shore (landform) | trees | walls | workers | working
- Associated Places:
- Chepstow | Chepstow Castle | Cymru | Monmouthshire | United Kingdom | Wales | Wye
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, View of Chepstow Castle, Monmouthshire, from Under the Bridge, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.