Harlech Castle and Twgwyn Ferry
- Additional Title(s):
Harlech Castle from Twguyn Ferry
- Watercolor, graphite and scraping out on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper, mounted on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 16 1/8 x 21 1/4 inches (41 x 54 cm) and Sheet: 15 5/8 x 20 1/4 inches (39.7 x 51.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink lower left: "J.Varley.1804"; inscribed on mount in graphite lower left: "Harlech castle & 'Tegweln ferry."; inscribed on back on mount in graphite upper left: "2052 1ST F- | 10 x 8"; in pen and brown ink center: "Tegwin ferry & Harlech Castle N Wales | by J. Varley. 1804"; in graphite center right: "3 r Mt & 1 1/2 Auto gelt | 6/6"; in graphite lower center: "20 1/8 x 15 1/2 | 6 x | 26 3/4 x 21 5/8"
Signed and dated in pen and black ink lower left: "J.Varley.1804"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | castles | cattle | clouds | cows | docks | ferries | graves | hills | horses (animals) | houses | landscape | rivers | ships | shores
- Associated Places:
- Caernarfonshire and Merionethshire | Cymru | Harlech | Harlech Castle | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
A loan exhibition of English drawings and watercolours from the collection of Mr and Mrs Paul Mellon of Upperville, Virginia, P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., London, 1964, cat. no. 77, N5247.M385 L62 (YCBA)
Yale University Art Gallery, English drawings and watercolors, from the collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, April 15 - June 20, 1965 , New Haven, 1965, Cat. No. 77, NC228 Y34 (YCBA)