- Modern Italy
- Etching and line engraving with graphite; engraver's proof (c), touched on thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper with cream chine-collé
- Sheet: 26 1/4 × 39 3/4 inches (66.7 × 101 cm), Plate: 22 1/4 × 28 inches (56.5 × 71.1 cm), Chine collé: 21 1/2 × 27 3/8 inches (54.6 × 69.5 cm), and Image: 16 7/8 × 23 7/8 inches (42.9 × 60.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.658 (c)"; lower left: "Engravers Proof (C); inscribed by Turner in graphite, lower left: "If you send me two more in a | fortnight they may possibly find me | and if you do not hear from immediately then you may conclude [...]"; lower left to lower center: "Too Strong all this works [...] | I agree with you all this part wants fine lines between, but in the water I doubt it much. I do not think it looks so Silvery as at first, therefore beg to let it remain. The little I have done to it, fill in the way you propose. In regard to the printing, the Sky looks perhaps better, but the distance and Castle is certainly cleared away too much. - NB Thank you for the letter | received this morning and only [...]"; lower right: "All beyond the front Trees, procession and [illeg.] I want the work quieter and | not broken into forms. I take away forms, and you follow me not, but keep all the forms. |Thus the foliage joins not with the water and remains dotty or
Lettered below image: "Painted by J.M.W. Turner R. A. | Engraved by William Miller 1842 | MODERN ITALY"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Miller, 1796–1882, British, Modern Italy, 1842
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.