Ships in a Breeze
- Additional Title(s):
The Egremont Sea-piece
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink Engraver's Proof on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 8 5/8 × 12 inches (21.9 × 30.5 cm), Plate: 8 × 11 1/2 inches (20.3 × 29.2 cm), and Image: 7 1/8 × 10 1/4 inches (18.1 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "10. E.P. (f)"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Cotswold Gallery, 1924, ex G.E.Blood"
Blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn & Etchd by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas. Turner | London, Published Feby. 20, 1808 by C. Turner No.50 Warren Street Fitzroy Square"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clouds | sailboats | sea | waves (natural events) | wind
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Sam Smiles, The late works of J. M. W. Turner : the artist and his critics, The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, London, p. 204, fig. 124, NJ18.t85 S655 2020 Oversize (YCBA)