The Drawing of the Clyde
- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink First published state on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 × 17 1/2 inches (30.5 × 44.5 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/2 inches (21 × 29.2 cm), and Image: 7 1/8 × 10 3/8 inches (18.1 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "18"; lower left: "18 I"; lower right: "DVC. V"; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "18/1"; lower left: "R 18.I. Fall of the Clyde"; lower center: "Cotswold Gallery. 1924. ex G.E.Blood"
Blind embossed: JMW Turner Sale (Lugt 1498); blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "E.P."; below image: "Drawn & Etched by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by C.Turner. | Drawing of the CLYDE. In the possession of J.M.W.Turner. | London, Published March 29, 1809, by C.Turner, No.50, Warren Street, Fitzroy Square."; in two columns lower right: "f | I | 3 | 4 | 2 | 3"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cascade | light | nudes | river | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, The Drawing of the Clyde, 1809
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.