- Additional Title(s):
Morning, or Sun Rising
Matin, ou soleil levant
Morning or Sun Rising
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 x 21 7/8 inches (38.1 x 55.5 cm), Plate: 11 15/16 x 15 13/16 inches (30.3 x 40.2 cm), and Image: 10 5/8 x 14 15/16 inches (27 x 37.9 cm)
Collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, upper left: "7"; lower left: "P. Monamy pinxt. | Morning, or Sun rising. | From a Painting in the Collection of Baptist May Esqr."; lower center: "Published according to Act of Parliament, 21 Febry 1745-6 | Printed for John Bowles at the Black Horse, Cornhill."; lower right: "Canat Sculp. | Matin, ou Soleil levant"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | cliffs | flags | galleons | hills | landscape | marine art | masts | men | men-of-war | morning | rowboat | Royal Navy | sailboats | sails | seamen | ships | sun | sunlight | sunrise | Union Jack
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Spreading Canvas - Eighteenth - Century British Marine Painting (Yale Center for British Art, 2016-09-09 - 2016-12-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Eleanor Hughes, Spreading Canvas : Eighteenth-Century British Marine Painting, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2016, pp. 94, 95, 168, 169, 282 (detail)), cat. 32, fig. 72; no. 32, ND 1373.G74 S67 2016 (YCBA) [YCBA]