John Boydell, Engraver
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, modereately textured, cream laid paper, laid on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 18 3/8 x 13 5/16 inches (46.6 x 33.8 cm), Plate: 17 7/8 x 12 7/8 inches (45.4 x 32.7 cm), and Image: 16 1/4 x 12 13/16 inches (41.3 x 32.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "CS 10"; on back of mount, lower center: "S[...]t 1810 | 1X S"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Josiah Boydell pinxit. | VOL. II. No,, 61."; lower center: "John Boydell | Engraver. | Published Augst. 10th. 1772 by John Boydell in Cheapside London."; lower right: "Valentine Green fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- books | bookshelves | burin | catalog | coat | column (architectural element) | dragon | fight with the dragon; Jason sprinkles a drug in its eyes, possibly assisted by Medea | man | papers | pillar | portrait | print
- Associated People:
Boydell, John (1720–1804), engraver and printseller
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Rosie Dias, Exhibiting Englishness, John Boydell's Shakespeare Gallery and the formation of a national aesthetic , Yale University Press, New Haven, 2013, pp. 16, 105, 107, fig. 37, N72.N38 D53 2013 (YCBA) [YCBA]
James Hamilton, A Strange Business : A Revolution in Art, Culture, and Commerce in 19th Century London, Pegasus Books, New York, London, 2015, see plate section between pp. 178 and 179, unnumbered plate, N8600 .H36 2015 (YCBA) [YCBA]