The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 53, "The Bard."
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 54, "The Bard."
- Part Of:
- between 1797 and 1798
- Watercolor with pen and black ink and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with inlaid letterpress page
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 12 3/4 inches (41.9 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in black ink upper right: "1"; on verso in black ink upper left: "2"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | bird | bodies | broken | dead | figurehead | flames | gown | harp | hawk | leaf | literary theme | lyre | man | men | religious and mythological subject | rocks (landforms) | stars | text | trees | water
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Colin Cross, Blake revealed, William Blake : Discovery of a Masterwork , Observer, vol. 12, November 21, 1971, pp. 19-23, V 1245 Detached from Observer colour magazine
John Russell, Blake the Craftsman, Art , Sunday Times, Issue no. 7749, December 12, 1971, p. 27, Available online : Sunday Times Digital Archive
Arnold Fawcus, Unknown Watercolours by William Blake, Illustrated London News, vol. 259, No. 6881, December 25, 1971, pp. 45-46, 49-51, Available online: Illus London News Hist. Archiv
Yale Center for British Art, Wales, New Haven, 2014, p. 21, V2519 (YCBA)