The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 53, "The Bard."
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 54, "The Bard."
- Part Of:
- between 1797 and 1798
- Watercolor with pen and black ink and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with inlaid letterpress page
- 16 1/2 x 12 3/4 inches (41.9 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in black ink upper right: "1"; on verso in black ink upper left: "2"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | beard | bird | bodies | broken | dead | figurehead | flames | gown | harp | hawks | leaf | literary theme | lyre | man | men | religious and mythological subject | rocks (landforms) | stars | text | trees | water
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Art in Focus : Wales (Yale Center for British Art, 2014-04-04 - 2014-08-10) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
William Blake (Tate Britain, 2000-11-02 - 2001-02-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
William Blake (The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2000-03-26 - 2000-07-05) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Colin Cross, Blake revealed, William Blake : Discovery of a Masterwork , Observer, vol. 12, November 21, 1971, pp. 19-23, V 1245 Detached from Observer colour magazine [ORBIS]
John Russell, Blake the Craftsman, Art , Sunday Times, Issue no. 7749, December 12, 1971, p. 27, Available online : Sunday Times Digital Archive [ORBIS]
Arnold Fawcus, Unknown Watercolours by William Blake, Illustrated London News, vol. 259, No. 6881, December 25, 1971, pp. 45-46, 49-51, Available online: Illus London News Hist. Archiv [ORBIS]
Yale Center for British Art, Wales, New Haven, 2014, p. 21, V2519 (YCBA) [YCBA]