The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 55, "The Bard."
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 56, "The Bard."
The Bard Weaving Edward's Fate, From 'The Bard: A Pindaric Ode', a poem by Thomas Gray
- Part Of:
- between 1797 and 1798
- Watercolor with pen and black ink, graphite and gouache on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with inlaid letterpress page
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 12 3/4 inches (41.9 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in black ink upper right: "3"; in graphite upper center: "+ +"; on verso in black ink upper left: "4"; in graphite upper center: "2 x"; in graphite center: "1 X"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armor | bard | beard | crown (costume component) | feather | horse (animal) | knights (landholders) | lance | leaf | literary theme | man | men | religious and mythological subject | robe | ropes | spear | text | trees | vines | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
John Baskett, Paul Mellon's Legacy: a Passion for British Art: Masterpieces from the Yale Center for British Art, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2007, pp. 275-76, no. 71, pl. 71, N5220 M552 P38 2007 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
Colin Cross, Blake revealed, William Blake : Discovery of a Masterwork , Observer, vol. 12, November 21, 1971, pp. 19-23, V 1245 Detached from Observer colour magazine
Patrick Noon, A Princely Amateur, Paul Mellon and his Collection of British Drawings , Master Drawings, vol. 38, no. 3, Master Drawings Association, Inc., Fall, 2000, pp. 340-42;, fog. 3, NC1 M37 (YCBA) Another copy available as item VF 2329
John Russell, Blake the Craftsman, Art , Sunday Times, Issue no. 7749, December 12, 1971, p. 27, Available online : Sunday Times Digital Archive
Arnold Fawcus, Unknown Watercolours by William Blake, Illustrated London News, vol. 259, No. 6881, December 25, 1971, pp. 45-46, 49-51, Available online: Illus London News Hist. Archiv
Yale Center for British Art, Wales, New Haven, 2014, p. 21, V2519 (YCBA)