- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 1/2 x 21 7/8in. (44.5 x 55.6cm) and Plate: 21 5/8 x 21 7/8 inches (54.9 x 55.6 cm)
Inscribed, verso, in graphite, lower left: "L0120109 | 12334"
Lettered lower left: "Painted by Richard Wilson, R.A."; lower left: "Still let me pierce into the midnight depth - | Of yonder Grove, of wildest largest growth. | That, forming high in air a woodland quire, | Nods o'er the mount beneath. At every step | Solemn, and slow, the shadows blacker fall, | And all is awful listening gloom around."; lower center: "SOLITUDE." | To Sir George Beaumont, Bart. this Plate is Dedicated, | By his obliged humble Servant, William Woollett, | From the original Picture in the possession of Mr. Rob Ledger. | Published as the Act directs, 4 June, 1778; by Wm. Woollett. Engraver to His Majesty, Green Str. Leicester Fields, London."; lower right: "These are the haunts of Meditation, these | the scenes where ancient bards th'inspiring breath, | Extatic, felt; and from this world retird. - | Thomson's Summer, line 516."; lower right: "Engraved by Wm. Woollett & Wm. Ellis."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- churches | crosses | groves | landscape | lions | monks | pedestals | plants | ponds | rocks (landforms) | ruins | sculptures | trees
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Martin Postle, Richard Wilson and the transformation of European landscape painting, Yale University Press, New Haven, 2014, pp. 138, 270, 271, 297, Cat. No. 120, fig. 118, NJ18.W72 R53 2014 OVERSIZE (YCBA)