The Prize Fight
- Watercolor with pen and black and gray ink over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige, laid paper
- Sheet: 18 1/8 x 27 3/8 inches (46 x 69.5 cm) and Frame: 29 3/4 x 36 1/4 x 1 1/8 inches (75.6 x 92.1 x 2.9 cm)
Signed and dated in black ink, lower left: "T. Rowlandson 1787"
J. Whatman - Fig. 197 in shorter "James Whatman II 1764 - 93, page 337.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boxes (containers) | canes | carriages | collar | crowd | dogs (animals) | fighting | horses (animals) | men | platform | poles | prize | ring | sporting art | trees | wagons | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
British Art at Yale, Apollo, v.105, no. 182, April 1977, pp. 279-80, fig. 6, N5220 M552 A7 1977 OVERSIZE (YCBA) Published as April 1977 issue of Apollo; all of the articles may also be found in bound Apollo Volume [N1 A54 105:2 +]
John T. Hayes, Rowlandson : watercolours and drawings, Phaidon, London, 1972, pp. 40, 100, no. 37, pl. 37, NJ18 R79 H39 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
Robert Hoozee, British vision : observation and imagination in British art, 1750-1950, , Mercatorfonds Museum voor Schone Kunsten, Brussels , Ghent, 2007, pp. 118, 119, no. 51, fig. 51, N6767 B78 2007 + OVERSIZE (YCBA)
Patricia Phagan, Thomas Rowlandson, pleasures and pursuits in Georgian England , Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, Poughkeepsie, N.Y. London, 2011, pp.34,125,130-31, no. 45, NJ18 R79 P53 2011 + OVERSIZE (YCBA)
Simon Schama, Rowlandson in the Round, TLS, the Times Literary Supplement, Issue no. 3963, March 10, 1978, p. 282, Film S748 (SML) Also available Online in TLS Historical Archive (ORBIS)
The Cunning Eye of Thomas Rowlandson, Apollo, vol.105, no. 182, April 1977, pp. 279-80, fig. 6, N1 A54 05:2 + (YCBA) Also available: N5220 M552 A7 1977 + (YCBA)