The taking of Porto Bello by Vice Admiral Vernon on the 22nd of Novr. 1739 with Six Men of War only
- Line engraving with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 5/16 × 18 1/8 inches (31.3 × 46 cm), Plate: 11 9/16 × 14 3/8 inches (29.4 × 36.5 cm), and Image: 10 5/16 × 14 1/16 inches (26.2 × 35.7 cm)
Watermark: "J Ruse | 1802"
Lettered below image, lower left:"pinxt. Publisd according to act of Parliament." ; center: "The taking of Porto Bello by Vice Admiral Vernon on the 22d. of Novr. 1739 with Six Men of War only. | London Printed for Bowles & Carver No. 69 St. Pauls Church Yard & Robert Wilkinson No. 58 Cornhill."; lower right: "R. Parr sculp. from the Original Painting in Vaux-hall Garden."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- battle | castle | hills | military art | navy | rowboats | sea | ships | smoke
- Associated Places:
- Colón, Provincia de | Panamá | Portobello
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Jonathan Conlin, The pleasure garden , from Vauxhall to Coney Island, , University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia, 2013, pp. 84-86, fig. 3.2, SB451.36.G7 P54 2013 (YCBA) Also available online (ORBIS) [Project Muse]
Eleanor Hughes, Spreading Canvas : Eighteenth-Century British Marine Painting, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2016, p. 3, 161, 163, cat. 24, fig. 4, ND 1373.G74 S67 2016 (YCBA)