Windermere at Sunset
- Watercolor and brown ink over graphite on medium moderately textured cream laid paper
- Sheet: 6 1/8 x 9 1/4 inches (15.6 x 23.5 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, lower left: "No. 29"; In brown ink, verso, upper left: "No 29"; upper right: "taken after the sun was [?down] on the right hand side"; upper center: "a view taken from Law Wood, looking over the Lake of Windermere in Westmoreland, | to the mountains at the head of Coniston Lake. | drawn by Francis Towne August 16th, 1786"; upper left: "London | Leicester Square | July 7th 1791."
Signed in black ink, lower left: "F. Towne. del. 1786"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- lake | landscape | mountains | sunset | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.