Melrose Abbey, Roxburghshire
- Watercolor and graphite and pen and black ink on medium slightly textured, cream wove paper, mounted to medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 5/8 × 8 1/2 inches (16.8 × 21.6 cm)
In artist's hand, in pen and black ink, on mount, ll: Edwd. Dayes 1792; in pen and brown ink, on mount, lr: Jas Moore Delt 22nd Augt 1792; in pen and black ink, on mount, lc: Melrose Abbey, Roxburgshire Transcribed from modern [?] inscription in graphite on verso: Note. Another drawing of this identical subject, by "Girtin," measuring 11 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches, probably a little later in date than this from which it was doubtless/copied, was in the Moor [?] and Millis Collection. Girtin has removed the ? partial blocking/ from the window on the extreme left and filled in the rest with broken cufferboarding [illegible]/ never found in such a position and indicating that he was not, in this instance working/ from nature?
Signed and dated in black ink, lower left: "Edw. Dayes 1792"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | cows | man | tombstones
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Melrose Abbey | Roxburghshire | Scotland | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Edward Dayes, 1763–1804, British, Melrose Abbey, Roxburghshire, 1792
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.