The Mouth of the Cavern at Castleton in the Peak of Derby
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, pen and brown ink, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 10 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches (26.7 x 31.8 cm) and Sheet: 7 1/2 x 9 1/4 inches (19.1 x 23.5 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "D. 2641"; inscribed on mount on verso in pen and brown ink, lower center: "The Mouth of the Cavern of Castleton in the Peak of Derby"; in graphite, lower left: "1"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Signed and dated on mount on verso in pen and brown ink, lower center: "JWA. July 21. 1791."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apron | children | genre subject | hay | labor | landscape | men | mining | path | walking | women | working
- Associated Places:
- Castleton | Derbyshire | England | Peak Cavern | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John White Abbott, 1763–1851, British, The Mouth of the Cavern at Castleton in the Peak of Derby, 1791