The Mouth of the Cavern at Castleton in the Peak of Derby
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, pen and brown ink, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 10 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches (26.7 x 31.8 cm) and Sheet: 7 1/2 x 9 1/4 inches (19.1 x 23.5 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "D. 2641"; inscribed on mount on verso in pen and brown ink, lower center: "The Mouth of the Cavern of Castleton in the Peak of Derby"; in graphite, lower left: "1"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Signed and dated on mount on verso in pen and brown ink, lower center: "JWA. July 21. 1791."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apron | children | genre subject | hay | labor | landscape | men | mining | path | walking | women | working
- Associated Places:
- Castleton | Derbyshire | England | Peak Cavern | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John White Abbott, 1763–1851, British, The Mouth of the Cavern at Castleton in the Peak of Derby, 1791
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.