Ullswater, Looking toward Patterdale
- Watercolor over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 13 3/8 x 20 1/8 inches (34 x 51.1 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 15 x 21 5/8 inches (38.1 x 54.9 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, lower right: "J. Smith 1792"; in graphite, upper center: "Ullswater looking to Caterdale No 48"
watermark: similar to Churchill no 415, and Shorter, Fig. 197 (Whatman)
Signed and dated in black ink, lower right: "J. Smith 1792"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boat | lake | landscape | mountains | sky | trees | valley (landform)
- Associated Places:
- Cumbria | England | Europe | Lake District | Patterdale | Ullswater | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Theresa Fairbanks-Harris, Papermaking and the art of watercolor in eighteenth-century Britain, Paul Sandby and the Whatman Paper Mill , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2006, p.15, fig. 11, NJ18.Sa56 A15 V5 2006 (YCBA)